[Colorado-talk] Press Release - The Cherry Creek Sneak Welcomes Blind Athletes and Their Guides

Lorinda Riddle lriddle at cocenter.org
Tue Apr 5 19:42:46 UTC 2011

*From:* Deborah Conley [mailto:deborahconley19 at gmail.com]
*Sent:* Monday, April 04, 2011 8:40 AM
*To:* lriddle at cocenter.org
*Subject:* Press Release - The Cherry Creek Sneak Welcomes Blind Athletes
and Their Guides

Hello Visually Impaired Athletes and Friends of the Blind and Visually
Impaired,

Walk In Registration for the Cherry Creek Sneak has opened! I hope you are
able to participate in the event by walking or running with your friends and
family. As a Visually Impaired Individual, you have the choice of either
running or walking in the two minute head start waive, or simply running or
walking with the main pack.

I have received some concerns that some of you are not thrilled with the
idea of a separate start, while others are very appreciative of the
opportunity for a faster time by not having to deal with the crowds.

So the choice is yours! We just want you to come out and participate! I have
included the press release on the race. Please forward it to others who
might enjoy the event.

If you have any questions, please email me. I am a volunteer guide athlete
who's mission is to share the sport I love by simply lending my sight.
Remember, visually impaired athletes receive a discount, and their guide
registration fee is waived. If you have a guide dog that you want to walk
with, they are very welcomed to the event.

I look forward to meeting you. I will be guiding Luanne Burke.

Best Wishes,

Deb Conley

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:*

*March 24, 2011*

*                                                                       *

*Contact*:  Kate Sutton

Cherry Creek Sneak

(303) 324-7358

kate at orangeisfresh.com

* *

*THE CHERRY CREEK SNEAK WELCOMES*

*BLIND ATHLETES AND THEIR GUIDES*

DENVER, COLORADO – The Sports Authority Cherry Creek Sneak, scheduled for
May 1, 2011, welcomes blind runners and their guides by featuring separate
divisions for the visually impaired. In doing so, the Sneak becomes the
first race in Colorado to welcome and highlight blind athletes in this
manner.

This year, the Sneak will discount event registration to $25 to all blind
runners and will waive the registration fee for their guides in the 5K
event. The wave for blind athletes will start 2 minutes before the rest of
the race field, and all athletes will be chip-timed.

Participating in this year’s event is Matt Miller, Founder of C
Different.  C Different is located in Denver and works to create works to
create opportunities for visually impaired athletes to participate in
athletic events. Since its inception, C Different Foundation has encouraged
numerous athletes to realize their potential through sports. Matt continues
to change people's perceptions of the visually impaired. His feature-length
documentary, "Victory Over Darkness," chronicles the extraordinary lives of
four blind triathletes with whom he has worked closely over the years.

Among the blind athletes participating is Michael Stone, a runner and
triathlete, who owns Colorado Multisport, in Boulder, which sells high
performance cycling and triathlon gear.

For interviews, please contact Kate Sutton at 303.324.7358 or
kate at orangeisfresh.com. Photos/multimedia are available.

For visually impaired athletes to participate in the Sneak and seeking
guides, please contact Deborah Conley atdeborahconley19 at gmail.com

To register, participants may visit www.cherrycreeksneak.com

*About the Cherry Creek Sneak*

The Cherry Creek Sneak is May 1, 2011 and offers run/walk courses for all
levels, including a 5-mile run/walk, 3.1-mile (5k) run/walk, 1-mile sprint,
and a ½ mile Kids’ Fun Run.  The cost to register for the Sneak is $35 for
adults, $20 for youth ages 17 and under, $20 for seniors ages 60 and over,
and $95 for a Family Four-Pack consisting of two adults and two children.
These registration prices will increase after March 31, 2011.

Visit www.cherrycreeksneak.com to register or get additional event
information.

###