[Colorado-talk] Walmart issue

Monika Reinholz monika_r_r at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 1 04:41:11 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I normally do not write on the lists but I thought I should bring something up that I recently discovered. I was at my local Walmart the other day and went down the Halloween aisle as I was needing to pick-up some face makeup for this weekend. As I was heading to that section of the aisle, I happened to notice the costumes that were out and about. And lo and behold I saw something that really ticked me off....they have a "Blind Referee" costume on the racks. It comes with the shades, a cane, and a basketball referee uniform. Now, I am not blind myself...but I thought that was just messed up and wrong, to say it nicely. So, I picked it up to look on the back to find out the "maker"....its a Walmart brand costume.

We of the NFB have worked so hard to bring blindness to a positive light. I see this "costume" as a way to ridicule and bring negativity to what it means to be blind, and they pisture on the front of this costume package doesn't help either in my view. Now, Im not sure if anything or what can be done about it or not but I wanted to bring this to your attention. I do hope something can be done about this though.

Thanks all,
Monika Reinholz
NFB-CO member, CS affiliate

CABS member