[Colorado-talk] Update on RTD Strike

RyanO ryano218 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 27 03:51:53 UTC 2009

Good news, folks!

>From yesterday's Denver Post:

Strike blocked; RTD, union may go to arbitration

By Jeffrey Leib The Denver Post

State labor officials ruled Tuesday that the transit workers union will not
be allowed to go on strike when its RTD contract expires Saturday.

The decision of the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment means that
if the Regional Transportation District and Amalgamated Transit Union Local
1001
fail to reach agreement on a new labor contract, unresolved issues will be
submitted to binding arbitration.

The union delivered a "notice of intent to strike" to the labor department,
but at a hearing Thursday, union officials said a walkout would affect the
"public
peace, health and safety" and strike authorization should be denied in favor
of arbitration.

RTD officials argued the opposite - that a strike would be an
"inconvenience" to transit users but not rise to the level of threatening
public health and
safety.

Advocates for the disabled supported the request to prevent a strike.

In Tuesday's ruling, senior labor department official Michael McArdle agreed
with the position of the union and advocates for the disabled.

"I have concluded that a strike by the ATU would in fact interfere with the
preservation of the public peace, health and safety," McArdle wrote. The
"request
to strike against the Regional Transportation District is denied."

McArdle ordered RTD and ATU to submit names of arbiters who might decide
unresolved contract issues between the parties.

"I'm just glad that they gave us this option," Local 1001 chief Holman
Carter said of the ruling.

"We really want to sit down at the table with RTD," said Carter, whose union
represents about 1,900 RTD employees. "This saves our riders the concern and
worry of a potential strike."

The union had said it was looking for a "modest increase in wages," while
RTD management has proposed a three-year freeze in wages.

Jeffrey Leib: 303-954-1645 or
jleib at denverpost.com

RyanO