[Colorado-talk] Subject: Urgent Legislative Alert on The Silent Car Legislation

Lorinda Riddle lriddle at cocenter.org
Thu Aug 6 20:54:24 UTC 2009

August 6, 2009

Fellow Federationists of Colorado:

We continue to move forward in ensuring the success of the Pedestrian Safety
Enhancement Act, H.R. 734.  Currently there are 134 members of the House of
Representatives are listed as cosponsors of this legislation.  Sadly, I must
report that we have none of our Colorado congressional representatives are
co-signers on the legislation!

Please contact your local representative as soon as possible and urge him or
her to co-sponsor this important piece of legislation.

Recently Congress passed the Omnibus Appropriations Act.  Included in that
legislation were funds for the National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration (NHTSA) to study the problem addressed by H.R. 734 and report
to Congress.  We are asking that Congress also direct NHTSA on how the study
should be carried out.  H.R. 734 would do just that!

In addition, Senators Kerry and Specter introduced the Pedestrian Safety
Enhancement Act of 2009, S. 841.  This bill is a companion bill to our
legislation in the House, the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2009,
H.R. 734.

Therefore, we must also contact our senators and urge them to join with
Senators Kerry and Specter as cosponsors of this important legislation.
Request that Senator Udall and Bennet contact either Doug Frost in Senator
Kerry's office or Matt Kelly in Senator Specter's office.

Sincerely,

Scott C. LaBarre, Esq.

President

National Federation of the Blind