[Colorado-talk] question as to whether a legally blind jurortainted a criminal trial

Angela Long angela at sextanttech.net
Tue Dec 16 18:35:21 UTC 2008

OK I have to respond to this. You don't HAVE to declare your disability when
you go to jury duty. You can go through a trial, listen to the arguments,
and then examine the evidence when you go to deliberations. They give
everything to you then so you can look at it closely at that time. Now on a
personal note-I sat on a jury for a serial rapist several years ago, and I
did declare my disability. They asked me what I needed, and I told them that
I would probably need to see evidence at a very close range. So, all I had
to do was ask for it and they would post the evidence to the jury during the
trial. They also let me move around so I could see videos and diagrams. From
what I understand, my requests actually made the jury examine the evidence
more carefully on the case. They felt my requests made them better jurors.
Of course, the guy we convicted looked at me like he wanted to do really bad
things to me when I asked for stuff, but I didn't care. I know he's in
prison now and I hope he has a really mean boyfriend named Bubba. Anyway, my
point is that having a visual impairment doesn't make any difference in
sitting on a jury except for maybe causing a more careful examination of
evidence. So, that's my two cents.

Angela K. Long
PRESIDENT

A CERTIFIED 8(A) PROGRAM PARTICIPANT