[CCCNFBW] Leadership Clark County training program accepting applications for 2023

Merribeth Greenberg merribeth.manning at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 20:47:02 UTC 2022

Leadership Clark County training program accepting applications for 2023 -
The Columbian
<https://www.columbian.com/news/2022/jul/07/leadership-clark-county-training-program-accepting-applications-for-2023/>

Applications are open for the 2023 class of Leadership Clark County, a
nonpartisan program training new civic leaders.

The nine-month course entails monthly sessions touching on education,
economics, social services, healthy communities, and diversity, equity and
inclusion policies. Sessions start Sept. 13 and will be held in-person for
the first time since 2019.

“We are looking to help build the community,” said Sharon Pesut, executive
director. “Talking about all those sectors is how we approach it.”

Throughout the year, students work in teams of four or five to help local
partners tackle issues proposed by community members. Past projects have
included helping build an Aviation Mechanics Program at the Cascadia
Technical Academy, along with organizing a free community presentation on
“Addiction and the Teenage Brain.”

“They learn a lot about themselves and about leading others, which I think
is the biggest piece,” said Pesut.

Networking is another focal point of the program. Participants have the
chance to connect with the program’s 850 alumni, along with community
leaders and local business owners. In January, students take a day trip to
Olympia for a session on the Legislature.

“It’s really just about people being out and about,” said Pesut. “When
you’re out, you’re going to see people whether they’re sitting on boards or
just going out.”

Final applicant decisions are made at the end of August, and anyone over
the age of 21 is invited to apply. With a limit of 36 members, the class is
already around two-thirds full, Pesut said.

“I think everybody’s looking forward to being in-person,” Pesut said.

Beth Greenberg