[CCCNFBW] Westside Bike Mobility Project

Merribeth Greenberg merribeth.manning at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 18:31:16 UTC 2019

When I read the minutes from last meeting, I noticed this was listed but
has some incorrect info.  So I thought I would Include some info from the
website, the link for the website.

I voiced my options especially on the part of Kauffman and Columbia routes
because of the bus access and how it would be restricted. I live at 32nd
and Harney, so this effects my neighborhood.

The proposed north-south bikeway network includes Columbia Street, Daniels
Street, and Lincoln/Kauffman Avenues, with protected bike lanes on busier
Columbia and Lincoln/Kauffman corridors and a neighborhood greenway on
Daniels. Providing safe bike facilities on these corridors involves
tradeoffs—such as removing on-street parking on Columbia and Kauffman and
reducing vehicle travel speeds—in order to increase safety for people of
all ages and abilities, regardless of how they choose to get around.
Implementation of the network is proposed to occur over several years, as
funding becomes available.

In addition to safer bike facilities, the project also includes pedestrian
improvements that will make it safer for people walking as well as people
biking. Pedestrian improvements can include new crosswalks, traffic
calming, spot sidewalk improvements, upgraded ADA ramps, enhanced lighting,
and new street trees. These complete street improvements are intended to
make Columbia safer for everyone who travels on the roadway.
Proposed Implementation Timeline

As part of a planned repaving project in summer 2019, the City proposes to
construct protected bike lanes on both sides of Columbia Street for the
section between Mill Plain and Fourth Plain, which would require removing
on-street parking on both sides of Columbia. The protected bike lanes on
Columbia would include a physical barrier, such as a stationary separator
like a post or bollard, so people biking and people driving no longer have
to share the road. The project would also include pedestrian improvements
such as curb ramp upgrades, improved crosswalks, enhanced traffic calming,
and priority at traffic signals.

The other segments of Columbia between Fourth Plain and 45th Street and
between 6th Street and Mill Plain will be implemented in phases over the
next few years as part of the City’s Pavement Management Program. Below is
an outline of proposed phasing for the Columbia Street improvements:

   - 2019: Columbia Street, Mill Plain to Fourth Plain
   - 2020: Columbia Street, Fourth Plain to 33rd Street
   - 2021: Columbia Street, 33rd Street to 45th Street and 6th Street to
   Mill Plain

There is currently no funding to construct the other routes included in the
proposed north-south westside bikeway network, including the separated bike
facility on Lincoln/Kauffman and the proposed neighborhood greenway on
Daniels. These segments of the network would be implemented over time with
funding from repaving projects and through future grant opportunities. Once
funding sources are identified for the Lincoln/Kauffman and Daniels bike
routes, the City will conduct additional analysis and public outreach in
order to refine the design concept prior to implementation.
Project Background

The Westside Bike Mobility Project implements several existing City
policies and plans. The Westside Mobility Strategy
<https://www.cityofvancouver.us/ced/page/westside-mobility-strategy> provides
specific recommendations for further study as part of the Westside Bike
Mobility Project. The City’s Complete Streets Policy
<https://www.cityofvancouver.us/ced/page/complete-streets> is intended to
provide a safe, accessible transportation system that serves people of all
ages and abilities, regardless of how they choose to get around. The
project also responds to the City’s 2016-2021 Strategic Plan
<https://www.cityofvancouver.us/citycouncil/page/strategic-plan> goal of
developing a safe, balanced, and innovative transportation system and
specifically upgrading key bike and pedestrian corridors including Columbia
Street.

For more information on the project, read about the Project Phases and
Documents
<https://www.cityofvancouver.us/ced/page/project-phases-and-documents>, Ways
to Get Involved
<https://www.cityofvancouver.us/ced/page/ways-get-involved-0>, and Frequently
Asked Questions
<https://www.cityofvancouver.us/ced/page/frequently-asked-questions-1>. You
can submit comments into the project record at any time through the online
comment form
<https://www.cityofvancouver.us/ced/webform/comments-westside-bike-mobility-project>.
All comments received regarding the project are shared with City Council as
part of the public outreach summaries, which are continually updated.
Contact

Anna Dearman, Senior Transportation Planner
anna.dearman at cityofvancouver.us
360-487-7738
https://www.cityofvancouver.us/ced/page/westside-bike-mobility-project

Beth Greenberg