[CCCNFBW] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] NFB President Receives Automotive Innovation Award

Les Fitzpatrick lfitz50 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 04:41:38 UTC 2018

Les Fitzpatrick

Piano Technician

Ham Call Sign: K5FPT

From: NFBNet-Members-List [mailto:nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of National Federation of the Blind via NFBNet-Members-List
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2018 7:38 PM
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] NFB President Receives Automotive Innovation
Award

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NFB President Receives Automotive Innovation Award

Baltimore, Maryland (January 22, 2018): Mark A. Riccobono, President of the
National Federation of the Blind, has received one of the inaugural
Autos2050SM awards. The awards are being presented by the Auto Alliance and
the Alliance for Transportation Innovation.

President Riccobono is among twelve state and national political leaders and
automotive innovators who will be honored at a dinner and awards
presentation in Washington, DC on January 24. The new awards and dinner are
part of the larger Autos2050
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9982&qid=2123757
> SM event
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9982&qid=2123757
> .

On October 25, 2017, the National Federation of the Blind and the Auto
Alliance hosted a first-of-its-kind gathering
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9983&qid=2123757
>  of consumers with disabilities, auto representatives, ride-sharing
providers, and policymakers. The purpose of the gathering was to discuss the
advances, challenges, and path forward for autonomous vehicle development.
It was a key step in the ongoing conversation about how autonomous vehicles
can be developed and deployed safely, while considering the needs of the 57
million Americans with disabilities.

On January 29, 2011, President Riccobono became the first blind individual
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9984&qid=2123757
>  to operate a vehicle independently. He navigated a course at Daytona
International Speedway as a demonstration of how technology can allow the
blind to drive.

"As much as I appreciate the honor of this award, its significance is
greater than recognizing the National Federation of the Blind," President
Riccobono said. "It is also a sign that leaders in the automobile industry
recognize the importance of incorporating the input of the blind as the next
generation of automotive technology is designed. This gives us hope that new
autonomous vehicles will provide a level of mobility and independence that
the blind have never experienced before, enhancing our ability to live the
lives we want."

"The Autos2050 Driving Innovation Awards are designed to honor those who
have made significant contributions over the past year," said Mitch Bainwol,
president and CEO, Auto Alliance. "Mark and the NFB have been tireless and
effective advocates for the needs of the entire disability community in the
ongoing national debate around the development of autonomous vehicles."

###

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in Baltimore, is
the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind Americans. Founded
in 1940, the NFB consists of affiliates, chapters, and divisions in the
fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. The NFB defends the rights of
blind people of all ages and provides information and support to families
with blind children, older Americans who are losing vision, and more. We
believe in the hopes and dreams of blind people and work together to
transform them into reality. Learn more about our many programs and
initiatives at www.nfb.org
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9985&qid=2123757
> .

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9986&qid=2123757

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9987&qid=2123757

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9988&qid=2123757

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9989&qid=2123757

 <mailto:nfb at nfb.org> Image removed by sender. Email Icon Image

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9990&qid=2123757
> Image removed by sender. Donate to the NFB Icon.

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD 21230
| (410) 659-9314
Unsubscribe
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=8153&qid=2123757&h=
b32f52f02647bede>  | Opt Out
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=8153&qid=2123757&h=b32f5
2f02647bede> |  Sign up for email newsletter
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9991&qid=2123757

200 East Wells Street
Baltimore, MD 21230
United States