[Cccnfbw] how to fight disparaging comments about braille

eden eden420 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 20 20:24:06 UTC 2015

As I am beginning to embark on a plan to train for medical
transcription, i was quite surprised and stunned to hear the trainer say
that she felt blind people should not use their braille devices because
it lowered productivity.  Many users are wonderful with speech, but I
keep mine at a speed slow as molasses compared to most of you folks, but
i read 500 wpm in braille.  How is using a braille device going to make
me less productive?  i also type almost 200 wpm on a braille keyboard.
Is it wrong to want to use an input method that works just because it is
not the way a sighted person would enter it?  Fortunately, Mario is
recommending a braille display, and i have not been told by trainers I
can not use it, but I have been amazed at the comments i have heard in
private messages on twitter about braille being dead.  I guess i have
always believed if a blind person can use their hands and does not have
lack of sensitivity, it makes them somewhat illiterate.  i realize
people have developmental issues that keep them from reading, but those
aren't who I am talking about.  Also, it has been pointed out to me
that, why should blind people as they can't afford it.  I felt like I
should be apologizing for the fact that voc rehab or my family have
helped me gain the things best suited for my needs.  My preferred method
is to use braille mostly with a little guide from speech when needed,
and I respect others preferences.  i guess I just feel like many in the
community and some trainers feel like one size fits all.

Frustrated,
Eden