[Cccnfbw] An example of powerful sight bias in sighted people

Robert Sellers robertsellers500 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 9 07:43:36 UTC 2013

Don,

You gave a very good speech that hopefully the kids understood what value it
could have in their lives.

You hit upon a couple of areas that we often gloss over and I wonder if we
understand what is being said.

First the unemployment rate for the blind is   seventy percent. If we were
confronted to site the study that proves that, ow many of us would have the
answer.

Seventy percent unemployment was the number we used in the 1970's to show
the condition for the blind was in the Nation. After 40 plus years and it is
still at the same rate, doesn't speak highly of the effectiveness of the NFB
having an affect on the employment of the blind. Personaly, I think its much
lower than that.

I wouldn't include the seniors who have encountered MD in their late
fifties, sixties, etc.. I would focus in the ages of 20-45 or a bit later.

About 5 or 6  years ago at a Clark Couty chapter meeting we had 16
attendees. Fifteen out of the 16 were either working or in school.

I believe the real strength of the NFB lies in 2 or 3 areas.

As for the attitude of the sighted world, as a whole, about blindness, is
something we will never change. I'm not sure why we keep beating the drum
regarding something we have very little affect on.

As we have often stated, sighted peoples attitude about blindness comes from
their preconceived ideas about blindness and possibly encounters with
incompatent blind people they observe. We keep blaming the sighted world for
these preconceived ideas.

Herein lies the strength and value of the NFB. That is why it behooves us to
have as many of the blind to become involved with the NFB and have them
develop a positive attitude about blindness and their blindness.

What I don't think we run up the flagpole often enough is how the diversity
of college degrees that blind students receive.

In the 1970's most blind students receive degrees in Phsycology, Sociology,
computers and law. How times have changed, which I give the NFB the credit.

Possibly the reason the sighted person thought Don was an angry blind man
is: in today's culture when a minority complains about their situation or
the way they are treated has been labeled as anger.

Bob