[BlindRUG] Sharing Successful Braille Labelling Test

Alexa Schriempf ats169 at psu.edu
Mon Jun 15 21:08:51 UTC 2015

Hello JooYoung and Johnathan:

I am sighted but deaf. Am working as AT Consultant with JooYoung to make
these graphics -- he is taking the lead on this project, using AT equipment
that I selected for the purposes of sighted people making graphics. I am
beginning to think that perhaps I bought the wrong things.

I have a Phoenix Embosser by Enabling Technologies, and an old Express
Embosser by Enabling Technologies. And of course the swell form machine.

Our goal here is for Jooyoung to produce his own tactiles without sightling
support.

I can currently take his png, insert it into Word, and expand the image
while maintaining aspect ratio. I then print it out on swell form paper and
Jooyoung swells it.

Ideally, we would be able to send the image to the Phoenix embosser and
emboss. However, the Phoenix does not receive print commands unless one
goes through the Firebird software that is the driver for Phoenix.
Moreover, opening the image in Firebird causes the Braille labels to appear
as blobs of dots instead of as Braille, and moreover, firebird actually
drops some of the lines forming the individual bars in the bar chart.

Jooyoung and I will call Enabling Tech tomorrow to discuss this, but if
anyone on this list has suggestions for the actual printing workflow, we
would love to hear about them.

Thank you!
Alexa

--